2010 PRESIDENTIAL CHALLENGE OF CENTRAL AMERICA
The Year in Review
The following statistics are based on the final results of the three PCCA events in 2010:
Number of Anglers: 170
COSTA GRAND CHAMPION TEAM: OBX/DECISIVE - 10,550 Points
EAGLE CLAW GRAND CHAMPION ANGLER: Mike Viveiros - 4,050 points
Number of Fish Released (All on Circle Hooks): 733 Pacific Sailfish/15 Pacific Blue Marlin/
2 Striped Marlin/21 Atlantic Blue Marlin/13 White Marlin/37 Atlantic Sailfish
- The Presidential Challenge of Central America continued to raise funds for The Billfish Foundation conservation programs in Central America.
· PCCA-Costa Rica contributed $5,000 to The Billfish Foundation Costa Rica Conservation Program.
· PCCA organized Data Collection Workshop meetings in Flamingo and Tamarindo, Costa Rica, to inform local captains how they can help TBF with data collection for the OSPESCA project.
· PCCA members continued to encourage anglers worldwide to convert to circle hooks in the interest of safe catch and release of billfish.
· The Chivas Regal Aruba Caribbean Cup was the first tournament in that region to require the use of circle hooks.
- The Chivas Regal Aruba Caribbean Cup raised over $5,000 for The Billfish Foundation as well as additional funding for two PSAT tags to be used in the Adopt-A-Billfish White Marlin Tagging Program
- The Presidential Caribbean Cup invited Dr. Eric Prince from NOAA to give a presentation on white marlin tagging and migration patterns during the tournament, which was met with great enthusiasm by the gathered participants.
- Dr. Prince, along with representatives of the PCC staff and TBF, were invited to meet with the Aruban Minister of Tourism, the Honorable Otmar Oduber, to discuss fisheries management and the importance of a healthy, sustainable fishery in Aruban waters.
- PCCA-Guatemala raised $5,000 for The Billfish Foundation to use in Central America conservation projects.
- PCCA organized a Data Collection Workshop meeting of local captains in Guatemala to inform them how they can help TBF with data collection for the OSPESCA project.
- 2010 was the Fourteenth Season for the PCCA Events.
- Internationally known as one of the finest and most competitive light-tackle blue water events in the world.
- The tournament season will be recapped in the tournament yearbook, Sporting Traditions, The Magazine, with 3,000 copies printed and distributed worldwide.
- All PCCA events are qualifying tournaments for the IGFA Offshore Tournament of Champions as well as qualifying events for the World Billfish Series. The Presidential Challenge received excellent representation at both the IGFA Offshore Tournament of Champions and the WBS Grand Championships from PCCA anglers.
- Thirteen of the top 20 anglers in the WBS Pacific Division standings competed in PCCA tournaments in the region.
- PCCA is a series of conservation oriented events designed to promote sport fishing and raise awareness of the socio-economic value of the sport throughout Central America.
- The parent company is Presidential Challenge Charitable Foundation, Inc., based in Key Biscayne, Florida. The Event
Coordinators are Joan Vernon and Sam White.
- Billfish release team competition with awards for both anglers and teams.
- Circle hooks ONLY are allowed.
- Berkley Big Game line supplied by Berkley/Pure Fishing was required in all events.
- Eagle Claw non offset circle hooks are the preferred hook of all PCCA events.
- Dead bait trolling is the only style of fishing permitted in the series.
2010 Presidential Challenge of Central America International Team Competition
2010 PCCA GRAND CHAMPIONS
ALL FISH RELEASED ON CIRCLE HOOKS
COSTA GRAND CHAMPION TEAM: OBX 10,550 Points (Mike Viveiros, Gary Tarpley, Ebby Hall, Dell Dembosky, Craig Johnson)
FIRST RUNNER UP: Hattaboy/Southern Pride 10,450 points Ted Smith, Gerard Eliseo, Russell Petranto, Tucker Colquhoun, Chris Garner
SECOND RUNNER UP: Sea Angel 8900 Points Austin Angel, Greg Voell, Arturo Moreno
GRAND CHAMPION ANGLER: Mike Viveiros 4,050 points
FIRST RUNNER UP: Austin Angel 3100 Points
SECOND RUNNER UP: John Price 3050 Popints
GRAND CHAMPION BOAT: Sea Angel, Capt. BC Angel 8900 Points – Costa Rica
FIRST RUNNER UP: Rum Line, Capt. Chris Sheeder – 8600 points - Guatemala
SECOND RUNNER UP: Decisive, Capt Brad Philipps – 8600 points - Guatemala
2010 COSTA RICA RESULTS
42 Anglers/12 Teams 57 Sailfish/9 Blue Marlin/1 Striped Marlin Countries: Panama, USA, Costa Rica
ICT TEAM DIVISION
1st Place: Hattaboy, 1700 Points
2nd Place: Big Oh, 1300 Points
3rd Place: Sea Angel 1300 Points
COSTA ANGLER DIVISION
1st Place: Gerard Eliseo 700 Points
2nd Place: Austin Angel 700 Points
3rd Place: Gray Ingram 600 Points TOP BOAT: Hattaboy
2010 ARUBA CARIBBEAN CUP RESULTS
92 Anglers/23 Teams Total Fish: 21 Blue Marlin/13 White Marlin/37 Sailfish Countries:Aruba, Curacao, USA, So. Africa
D.DeVeer and SONS TEAM DIVISION
1st Place: Southern Pride 2100 Points
2nd Place: Alina 1900 Points
3rd Place: OBX 1600 Points
COSTA ANGLER DIVISION
1st Place: Anthony Maduro 1000 Points
2nd Place: Harry Vernon 900 Points
3rd Place: Tucker Colquhoun 800 Points TOP BOAT: Southern Pride, Capt. Chris Garner
2010 GUATEMALA RESULTS
36 Anglers/12 Teams Fish Released: 676 Sailfish /7 Blue Marlin/1 Striped Marlin
Countries: USA, Guatemala, Costa Rica
COSTA TEAM DIVISION
1st Place Team: Casa Vieja 8600 Points
2nd Place Team: OBX/Decisive 8600 Points TOP BOAT: Rum Line, Capt. Chris Sheeder
3rd Place Team: Sea Angel 7500 Points
KING SAILFISH ANGLER DIVISION
1st Place Angler: Dell Dembosky 3600 Points
2nd Place Angler: Jim Turner 3500 Points
3rd Place Angler: Mike Viveiros 3000 Points